Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hardball Times Top Prospect List

And while I'm at it, Aaron Gleeman at The Hardball Times is posting his top 50 prospect list, five players at a time. In the 41-45 range are two young men who played for the Sea Dogs last year, Hanley Ramirez (#44) and Jonathan Papelbon (#42).

I've noted here in the past that some of the shine came off of Ramirez last year, but I also noted that I think he's still a good prospect. Gleeman does me one better:

Ramirez still has plenty of potential. He's considered a quality defender
at shortstop and while his 2005 numbers are underwhelming they are relatively
good for such a young player at an up-the-middle position. The Eastern League as
a whole hit .259/.326/.398 in 2005, which is nearly identical to Ramirez's
.271/.335/.385 line. That may not sound like much, but a shortstop who is young
for the level of competition putting up essentially league-average numbers is
pretty good.

I don't think that Hanley will be all that great for the Marlins in 2006, but in a couple of years I think he'll be making believers out of people. Still, he's always seemed to rise to a challenge, and I think he's going to surprise some people this year.

Papelbon is a good pitcher, but he doesn't get a higher rating because he is older than most prospects. I'll be interested to see where Gleeman rates Jon Lester (much higher, without a question) and Anibal Sanchez (a little higher? not at all?) on his list. Dustin Pedroia will no doubt be ranked higher than Ramirez as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home