Saturday, May 22, 2004

Doug Pappas Passes Away

In sad news, Doug Pappas, the leading writer about MLB financial dealings (and leading Bud Selig debunker), passed away yesterday (Thursday) while hiking in Big Bend National Park. He was 43. Pappas' work was featured at Baseball Prospectus, and his Business of Baseball Blog, which I have in my links, was an invaluable and informative daily update of the wheelings and dealings in major league baseball.

I did not know Doug personally, though I did exchange a few emails with him when I joined SABR and its Business of Baseball Committee. In fact, it was Pappas' work from Baseball Prospectus that inspired my interest in the financial workings of MLB and ultimately led me to join his committee. His blog was a heavy inspiration for this very blog. In our few email exchanges, I found Doug to be a very kind and respectful person. I did not know Doug Pappas, but he inspired my deeper interest in baseball over the last couple of years, and I am deeply saddened by his passing

Pappas was very highly regarded by his friends and will be missed by many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home